No Health Form settings found. Please configure it.

Toxic Holiday Foods for Your Pets

Toxic Holiday Foods

The holiday season is a welcoming time of the year, as you get to see family members you haven’t seen in some time, enjoy the company of others, and indulge in great food. There is definitely no shortage of relatives, food, and treats around the home. Unfortunately, some holiday foods are toxic to your pets. At Ferreira Animal Hospital in Miami, we want to make sure you are fully prepared for the holidays with some important pet care and safety tips.

Foods to Avoid Giving Your Pet During the Holiday

Here is a look at a few of the most common and toxic holiday foods that could send your pet to the animal hospital for professional care if ingested:

Chocolate – Chocolate is a well-known food that is toxic to pets. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is dangerous. Keep in mind that some foods may have a chocolate coating or other hidden chocolate.

Grapes/Raisins – Fruitcake is a popular food served during the holidays. Unfortunately, for pets, grapes and raisins are commonly found in this dish. While ingesting raisins or grapes may not impact your pet, they can be life-threatening and lead to acute kidney failure.

Onions and Garlic – There are certain components found in onions, garlic, and other items in this food family that can cause harm to your pet’s red blood cells. It takes only a small amount for your pet to be in gastrointestinal pain.

Alcohol – At holiday gatherings, alcohol is a popular drink served. These drinks are often left unattended or spilled onto the floor. Make sure your pet stays away from any form of alcohol to avoid alcohol poisoning.

Turkey Skin and Gravy – Turkey skin, turkey gravy, and other similar holiday foods are high in fat and can be difficult for your pet to digest. These foods can lead to pancreatitis, which is painful for pets and can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and fatigue.

Stay Safe This Holiday Season

During the holidays, you should keep an eye on your pet. While you may not deliberately provide toxic food to your pet, it is possible that he eats a piece that fell on the floor, gets a piece from someone else, or raids the table. If you suspect your pet has ingested something harmful, contact our team at Ferreira Animal Hospital in Miami by calling us at (786) 275-4629.